Peace of Mind

Contact us today!

Do you qualify for a child support modification?

On Behalf of | Jun 20, 2019 | Uncategorized

If you’re required by the court to pay child support in Connecticut, you must do so in full and on time every month. Not only does this keep you in good standing from a legal perspective, but it goes a long way in ensuring the well-being of your child or children.

There may come a point when you can no longer live up to the terms and conditions of your original child support order. For example, if you lost your job and have no income, you may not be able to make your monthly payment.

If you’re interested in filing a request for a child support modification, here are the steps you must take:

  • Act fast: The court doesn’t know you’re unable to pay your current amount unless you tell them. As soon as you realize you can’t make your payments, put the wheels in motion.
  • Try not to fall behind: You’re responsible for the full amount of your child support until the court approves your modification request. Even if this happens, you’re still on the hook for any past unpaid amounts.
  • Negotiate with the other parent: It can be difficult to do so, as you may not want to share your financial situation with your ex, but it can help your situation. If they understand where you’re coming from, they may agree to a temporary modification. The court still has to approve it, but having your ex on your side will help your situation.
  • Document your financial change: The court isn’t going to take your word that you can no longer afford to make child support payments. They want to see proof, so collect as much documentation as possible. For example, if you lost your job, a letter from your former employer can work in your favor.

Once you do all these things, you can then file a formal request with the court. If everything works out, you’ll receive a modification that allows you to pay a lesser amount, either temporarily or permanently.

Even if you’re required to make child support payments, you still have legal rights. If a modification is necessary, don’t hesitate to take action.

Visit our website for more information on child support, requesting a modification and related subject matter.